Wednesday, July 19, 2006

What is my job description?

It seems to change every day. This past weekend we had what we call Midterm, where all the volunteers meet at this place called “the Sanctuary,” although I still haven’t figured out what it is a sanctuary from. I spent the whole weekend dodging bats. Every time I entered my room, this crazy bat would be waiting for me. As soon as I turned on the light he would start bouncing off the walls, the ceiling, my bed. This is the closest I have gotten to a bat since my cat brought me one in second grade and my mom decided to freeze it so I could take it for show and tell. When I wasn’t dodging bats, I was dodging volunteers. Most of you have probably noticed that I don’t like traveling in groups, worse, I don’t like leading large groups, and a large group of American teenagers in a Brasilian city is probably my worst nightmare. Imagine getting them all on a city bus. Then imagine standing on the side of the highway and picking up my normal transportation, the Toyota, for 25 people. Of course, all the Toyotas were full and we were only able to cram about five vols per vehicle. Let me just say, I never want to repeat the experience again.

Other than crossing guard, I learned my job also entails being a cistern inspector, a latrine consultant, and a shmoozing socialite, all in one day. Yesterday morning, I woke up early and jumped into a 6 foot hole to make sure the base was level. From there I headed to the cistern course where I let people hear the recordings I had taken the day before. I’ve convinced the town to be a part of my linguistic research (“eeeexxxcellent” as Mr. Burns would say), which is picking up. They’ve promised to speak in the recorder if I give them a CD of everything they say. Then I waited for my ride, the back of a truck bed, to take me whirling around the mountain with 3 of my vols. I made it to the city in time to sit with the manager of a construction company as we went over blueprints and material lists for the latrines that one of my communities will be constructing and finishing in the next 3 weeks. I must say that I know more construction words in Portuguese than I do in English. Then I found a ride to my next town where I took one vol to the hospital (for once it was something minor), bought the materials for their project, and made it to Caruaru (that’s where I live…sort of) before dark. Waiting for me was my assistant project director (APD) who informed me that I would be accompanying her to a Rotary club banquet where we would be presenting our organization, convincing these old rich men to give us money, and small talking the assembly. I changed from my dirt-covered clothes to the nicest thing I owned. I even put away my TEVAS. Those of you who know me, know that I don’t like to dress up, and when I do, I keep the same shoes I always wear. But as my APD pleaded, I had to shine. I don’t like public speaking in the states, what on earth possessed me to stand up in front of the Rotary Club of Caruaru in a dress, and explain in Portuguese why I was in Brazil and what they could do for me? Apparently, they liked my dreadlocks as they become the topic of discussion in the after presentation shmoozing. I convinced all these baldies that even they could have dreadlocks. I’m not sure if we ended up raising any funds, however.

Today, I took the job of maid, as the next-door neighbors informed me that we have to help clean the outside patio (even though we don’t use it). So I spent my morning sweeping up cigarette butts before heading off to a convent to talk to the sisters about holding a going away party for the communities there, and then became secretary as I called around to various locations about our debriefing site in Recife. Now, I’m home alone, something that hasn’t happened since coming to Caruaru. I plan to party, “Risky Business” style. I have the music picked out and everything.

As for my job(s), I came home yesterday with a sense of accomplishment. While I was conducting midterm evaluations, the towns I work in informed me that they were happy with the work we have been doing. It is the first time that an organization has come in promising to do certain things and actually does them. I also plan to take more advantage of the beautiful mountains. I went hiking the other day and reached the top of a cliff where I could look out for miles and miles. I plan to hike an even taller mountain this weekend before going to my favorite town for Sunday Night Forro. I spent over 4 hours dancing last time. The town the next morning, instead of referring to me as “the girl with the hair” as they normally do, referred to me as the Forro Queen. I’m not sure what I like more, but all this dancing business is helping to create solid Brazilian/American relations.

I have kept this blog entry short for all you lazy ones that continue to complain about the length. Beware, however, because I might be adding more soon.

Maya

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home